Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:53:12 -0500
From:         Sam Walters <sam.cooks@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: stands vs ramps

I have some plastic / resin like material ramps I got at Pep Boys. They are rated for over twice the weight of the van and of course only have to support part of its weight. I've had them for about 4 years now. Unless I need the wheels to turn, I always use them. I feel 100% safe under the van with them in place. It just isn't going anywhere. A few times I have hit the gas a bit hard when getting up on them and shot one of them under the van which was exciting the first time. It never hurts them and I can't see any noticeable wear and tear.

I use stands for work like CV axles. Once I disabled the engine, all the work on dismantling my 84 was done with the stands. But I did much of what I could with the ramps, but would guess that 75% of the time under the van was with the stands. I am very careful with chocking the wheels in both directions with the stands.

I don't think it matters that, you just have to be careful in either situation. But I do think ramps are safer as there is much less chance of the van falling from rolling forward or backward. However, I have never had it come off of a stand. I think you have more room for some jobs with the ramps because the location of the rear stands gets in your way. But for access to a rotating wheel there is no doubt or for doing work like shocks, etc. where you need the wheel out of the way, jack stands are the only way to go. I think I actually have three sets of stands, having progressively bought higher capacity and taller stands. However the smallest ones were rated high enough 2.5 tons and as they are only holding part of the van's weight when one end is jacked up, there are strong enough by rating and experience. I would use them tomorrow if needed.

More than my $.02.

Sam

P.S. - This thread has been around before. I remember the last time "proudly" stating that I had only shot the ramps out from under a tire once and having learned to be judicious in how much gas to apply. Well, in the interim, my foot has gotten heavy twice more and I spoiled my record. I imagine I'll goof again. But it hasn't hurt or damaged anything when I have done it and it doesn't bother me much anymore.

-- Sam Walters Baltimore, MD

89 Syncro GL 85 Westy Weekender

All incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.