Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:14:14 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: What size tool for CV joint removal?
Comments: To: jbrush@AROS.NET

Lots of Boot kits come with new bolts and CV grease. Get your parts ordered and in hand and then you''ll know what to do next. I think the TRI-Square heads are the strongest in respect to pulling torque on the fastener and staying in good shape. Most allen fasteners get so sloppy that I don't trust them. Automatic half shafts are different lengths. Standard Tranny Half shafts are equal lengths. If anyone wants a pair as spares of either I have some for sale $20.00 the pair.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anonymous Digest" <jbrush@AROS.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 7:44 PM Subject: What size tool for CV joint removal?

> I took a peek at the bolts on my CV joint that needs replacing, and > could see that they are stars, not allen heads. > > From reading the info on CV joint R&R, and the writeups in the archives > and places like Volkscafe, it seems to be a 6mm or 7mm allen head, or the > star. > > I don't know for sure if the bolts on the outer joint are allen or star, > and I am content to just buy both and do it all at once no matter what I > find on the outer ones. > > At Autozone, they have the star tools, but they are not in mm, but are > T-45, T-47, etc. > > Assuming my bolts are the same as everyone elses, what size star took do I > need to get, and are the bolts with allen heads 6mm, or 7mm, as I have > been told both? > > (yea, I could buy a whole rack of both, but prefer to just get what I > likely need for now <g>) > > As always, thanks for all the advice and assistance. > > John > > P.S. The half shafts are the same for the left or the right, but are they > the same for an automatic and a manual trans? > > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > Version: 7.0.296 / Virus Database: 265.5.3 - Release Date: 12/14/2004 > >

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.296 / Virus Database: 265.5.3 - Release Date: 12/14/2004