Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:14:16 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Discount Tires (and Snows!) for Vanagons

As some of you know, it's not always easy to find tires that are safe for use on Busses at an affordable price. Without rehashing too much of what's already in the archives, most standard passenger car tires are unsuitable and perhaps even dangerous for use on Vanagons due to their inability to handle the vehicle's weight. Those that are suitable often suffer from one of several drawbacks: High price, harsh ride (many were originally designed as truck tires), lack of all-season capability, or limited availability.

To this end I am now offering two different lines of radial tires, both from OEM suppliers to Volkswagen, that are well suited to the Vanagon and reasonably priced. These are available both as all-season tires and as snow tires. The tires are manufactured by two companies that are OEM tire suppliers to Volkswagen - Vredestein and Hankook. I chose these tires with great care and based on a lot of personal experience. There was no point in simply duplicating what you can buy at Tire Rack or your local discount store. These are better tires for less money than generally available elsewhere.

The Hankooks are all-season tires that I've been recommending on this list for nearly a decade now from personal experience (although I've never sold them). I've used these tires on three different Vanagons, putting tens of thousands of miles on them (including one month-long cross-country trip). I really like them. They a great tire for the price. They basically have the same specs as the Michelin Agilis but are almost 40% cheaper. (Incidentally, Michelin recently purchased a minority stake in Hankook.) Thy are all-season (unlike the Yokohama Y356, for example, which is an excellent dry-road tire but not suited for climates where temperatures dip below freezing), and have a less 'truck-like' ride, and better tread wear and wet-road handling, than the Continental Vanco8. I've tried others, but have always ended up going back to the Hankooks on my own Vanagons. Unfortunately, they are not easy to find in the U.S. So last month at the big SEMA automotive trade show, I finally got around to stopping by Hankook's booth, and we worked out a deal. I expect to have them in about 2 weeks. The 185R14 version is just $66.95.

The Vredesteins tires, from Holland, are available in several versions. I have two different snow tires available in a 185R14 size, and also an all-season tire in 205R70. Like Hankook, Vredestein is an OEM supplier to VW, supplying them with tires for German market Passats and Golfs. Their all-season tire is mentioned on vanagon.com as a recommended tire. And their snow tire was just rated number one in a head-to-head comprehensive test in the German magazine ProMobil-Extra, where it trounced every other competitor including the much more expensive Michelin Agilis. Note: If you want a set of Vredestein snows, you should order quickly. I could only get a few sets, and am keeping one set for myself! They start at $84.95.

You can find more details on all of these tires (as well as general info on Vanagon tire requirements) at <http://www.busdepot.com/busdepot/details/tires.jsp> .

On a related issue, I looked into the Woosung tires as well (which were recently mentioned on this list). California Import Parts sells them, which made me curious. Were they just a cheap tire, or was there something to them? Woo-Sung primarily sell tires on a private label basis, under various names including Hercules, Merit, Signet, and Jupiter. Unlike Vredestein and Hankook, they are not an OEM supplier to VW, or to any other car manufacturer that I can determine. This much I knew. And after digging around a bit, it's still about all I know. A web search turned up virtually nothing about the company besides data on their bankruptcy filing a few years ago. I couldn't even find a company website! Nor was I able to find any relevant test reports or commercial reviews of their tires, except for the following report from the Type2 list: "I bought a 79 Westy that had Woo-Sung reinforced tires Load Range C on them, and couldn't figure out why my Westy behaved so badly. Took it to my local tire store, and they showed me 3 of the 4 tires had started to seperate, and you could feel the bumps in the tread where the inner belts were coming apart. These tires looked like they had at least 1/2 their tread left." To be fair this is only one person, so it's too small a sample to draw firm conclusions from. For all I know they might be great. But without being able to find anything whatsoever to indicate that they are, I was left feeling uneasy about attaching my name to them. Now you know as much about them as I do.

One final note: Tires do not qualify for further listmember discounts. This is because my website undercalculates the shipping cost on them, so I lose a few bucks in shipping on each tire I sell to begin with. So essentially the discount is already built-in.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT