Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:16:11 -0500
From:         Peter McHugh <pmchugh952@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Any wood worker cabinetmakers?

newbie to the list here; been "lurking", trying to soak up some smarts from all you list veterans. the insights and expertise are absolutely terrific and are helping to guide me thru a mechanicing renaissance (sp?) of sorts here in redsoxnation.

i did happen to spend a few years working thru school as a cabinet-maker, among other things, and jimt's query caught my eye as an opportunity to contribute:

jimt wrote:

"Was doing some measurements to put in the 1/4 inch oak paneling into the cab ceiling and ran into an interesting problem.

There is a curve that seems to be sharper than 1/4 inch will handle.

A trick I have seen is to take a router and put some small grooves down the length of the part to be curved.

Would this work for the standard quarter inch ply? Trying to avoid wasting a sheet. (prices have gone up again on sheet)"

in my experience:

a router wouldn't be my first choice; never seen a router bit that'd cut a thin enuf rip. better choice for 1/4" stock would be your trusty table saw with a 1/16"w blade using many close together rips to turn the corner. try not to cut into the veneer layer; you should be able to get what you want with an 1/8" cut. if it still cracks, steam it as well.

best, bostonpete 1991 carat, 225K mi on original tranny and engine (5 heads tho); bought new and ready for refurb; past vw's include '68 camper, '71 super beetle, '75 camper (scuse me, "westy", for you listers)