Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 8 Dec 2004 17:23:30 -0900
From:         Mark Tuovinen <mst@AK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon weight(NVC)

Two years ago I watched my neighbor load an old Alfa Spyder and a MG into a semi-trailer. He used a Loader and cargo strap to accomplish this. Step one: park car in front of rear doors on the trailer. Step two: park Loader behind car with forks positioned over car. Step three: attach cargo strap to first fork, run it down under the middle of the car, up to the second fork and attach. Step four: lift Loader forks and find that the car is not balanced, lower forks, adjust strap and repeat, do this several times until you can lift and balance fifteen foot long car on a eight inch wide strap. Step five: lift car and drive Loader forward to insert car into back of trailer, stop when vertical part of forks hits the upper part of door opening. Step six: lower forks to clear door opening and drop the rear of car onto the ground five feet below. Front of car is in trailer at this point and rear is on the ground. Cargo strap is now stuck under the car. Step seven: unhook strap from fo rks, back up Loader, slide forks under rear of car and lift. Step eight: push rear of car into trailer with Loader. Step nine: learned lesson on Alpha, use two straps when lifting MG.

I do have photographic evidence of this event, I only wish that I had thought to grab the video camera, I would be ten thousand dollars richer now.

As they say at the Fly-By-Night Club "Anytime someone does something dumb, an Alaskan does something dumber!"

Mark in AK

----- Original Message ----- From: jeff kennedy <kennedy@THERIVER.COM> Date: Wednesday, December 8, 2004 11:49 am Subject: Re: Vanagon weight