Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:06:32 -0500
From:         Daniel Stevens <dosteven@SYR.EDU>
Subject:      Re: HELP My wife thiks the van is unsafe

I took my 1980 ASI riveria model camper (with newly converted 1.6TD) onto the tracks of Watkins Glen international raceway.. raceway? Diesel? well TD.. fast? relatively... kept up with the 1.9/2.1 gassers.. yeah they were in the way..

yes it is a Nascar course and it is a ROAD course, meaning it has left AND RIGHT turns.. theres even "The boot" section where it is a nice down hill and turn to the right after you crest the top from another turn. Dangerous NOPE.. fun Hell ya..

had the camper up to 55mph with mom on board (her last run on the glen was in the late 60s, inna vet.) holding ontot he grab handle and not too much complaining..

unsafe.. well yeah was racing.. unsteady nope was running the gears and squeaking the tires on downshifts into the corners.. revving to the limiter on the out of turns and straightaways..

tippy HELL NO... with 205/14 michellans up front 27x8.5/14 in back the non-power steering large wheel handles like it's on rails.. the body only has 110K miles on it, maybe helps with the road manners.

....now as others have been implying there may be other issues at hand here.. and I'd say 1st and foremost that in 2004/5 an 1983 model diesel va of all things really isn't a great modern alternative for the PRIMARY FAMILY/GRoCERY getter car.. and certainly shouldn't be the sole car in the family..

I'm a strong believer that any family needs 2 cars.. wether new or not.. let her get a SUV or econo car... and use the van as an aux people hauler and stuff getter.. my camper model carries large amounts of lumber and home improvement supplies.

don't get me wrong, i'm 100% for the VW Diesels.. I convereted my 1980 camper from air to Diesel, and my 1976 baja bug is soon to go TD as well.. they are frugal, hearty, reliable, and stinky.. what else would a hobby car need.. OOhh yeah heat, and in the baja AC. (it'll be air cooled again.. but only inside the cabin *smiles)

dan Stevens

Subject: Re: