Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:19:46 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon name - where´s the
              HiAce´s... Eurovans

That's Hiaces, no apostrophe.

>But as so often with company cars nobody bothered to put any real attention >to their rustproofing and since Toyota left it to the customer to put that >stuff on, many of them has rapidly rusted away on the Swedish salted roads >which is a shame since the drivetrain was almost bulletproof. >It´s too bad it doesn´t fit in the Vanagon since there was a really nice 4x4 >diesel sold :-)

They don't generally rust here, fortunately. But ours are all Japanese-assembled. Of course our roads are unsalted, but a large proportion of them come used from Japan, where they DO salt roads.

Some of the previous generation of Hiaces (LH60-series, the 3rd generation) do have rust problems. My previous 4WD diesel LH66 had rust, but it had been used by a scuba backpacker's hostel, and not only carried dripping salty divers & gear, but ran along wet beaches.

As to Europe, the BIG van disease seems to have displaced normal large domestic vans there. The Frod Transit, Fiat & Renault are all very large, comparable to the LT/Sprinter clone. The only normal-sized vans I know of from there are the Mercedes Vito and VW T5, and the Vito is really a wagon, with its low roof. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut