Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Dec 2004 00:36:30 -0500
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: +Fuel Lines WAS Re: Gypsy is gone...

Bad mechanic, bad installation.... he he he...

Or!!!! cheap hoses!!! A good FI hose is about 4$ a feet, a cheap one goes for 2.50$ a feet..

Cheap one have a bad habit..they split/ layers separation after a short wile...and the clamp, good FI clamp are about 1$ each, you need about 25 to do a complete job.

But hey... you save a good 20$ overall with the cheap one!!!

Most people will go crasy when they hear the FI prices.

My conclusion, most vanagon will need about 15 feets of 5/16 hoses for a complete job, that is 15 x 4=60$ + about 3 to 4 hours to do a good and safe job...period.

Cheers John Ben

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Eric, I'm with you. Inspection is the best protection. The last major fuel leak I had was with brand new fuel lines. There was nothing loose, no bad clamps, no problems ........but I dumped 3/4 of a tank of gas so fast you could the needle on the gage falling. And a fuel hose was the culprit. How so if it was new? Well, actually fairly new, recently new, but ot the first trip out after installation. It had been driven a few hundred miles, but with no apparent problems ........ but the fuel line passed close enough to the throttle cable that the cable wore a hole in the fuel line. When it reached a certain point - blooie! -- hole opened and the fuel came out.

Inspect, inspect, inspect.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver