Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 16 Dec 2004 23:47:13 -0600
From:         Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      I40 Tennessee and North Carolina

I have driven a lot of miles on I40 in between Willmington and Memphis within the last few years and driven most of this section recently. Moving West to east here are my observations.

West Memphis Arkansas through Memphis can be crazy. I am currently staying in Memphis and the traffic is very bad every afternoon on sections I40 and I240. Avoid the section of 240 that runs directly north and south (the west side of memphis near downtown) as it is down to one lane under heavy construction.

It seems like going straight through Nashville (not taking the recommended bypass) is quicker.

Knoxville can have very bad rush traffic. I have gotten stuck there for hours on multiple occasions. Avoid peak hours if possible.

Just east of the Tennessee line a section of east bound I40 washed away. Last time I passed through all traffic was routed over the west bound lanes for a couple of miles at this point. Speeds averaged 40 to 45 through this section. Reconstruction of the center barrier has been progressing further east of this washout and you should experience a few miles of one lane interstate here as well. Sesonal and Weekend traffic can be very thick from Knoxville to Asheville, and I have seen some bad backups around the spots mentioned above and around the I40 and I26 intersection. The I40 and I26 intersection is usually backed up at least a bit around 5:00 and going south on I26 (really I26 east) can be a real pain.

If you want to bypass all of the nonsense in the smokies you can go north to Johnson City and then come down the new section of I26 to Asheville where you rejoin I40 east of all of the problems unless there is severe snow on the continental divide just east of Black Mountain (rarely is a problem). This route doesn't add much time at all even when there aren't a lot of backups, and the new interstate is amazing. Johnson City to Asheville is beautiful, be sure to do this in daylight.

Around Raleigh I40 is undergoing some construction in a few places and is probably still down to one lane fairly close to Raleigh. Greenesboro etc. has gotten a lot better lately but the Raleigh section can be tough. I have driven it late at night with pretty good luck.

Hope this helps,,

Jonathan Poole