Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:29:56 -0700
From:         Anonymous Digest <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      So some CV's require a "custom" tool?

I guess the tool I was looking at last night at my FLAPS were not at all the right ones, and its no wonder no one behind the counter had a clue what I was talking about. The only thing I saw close was apparently just really large Torx stuff. I didn't get up close to the bolts on my joints, only enough to see that they were not Allen heads, and that they had mulitple points inside.

Good information for the archives so the next guy doesn't get caught flat footed like me. My CVs need the 'star' tool, which is 12 points? and not in an auto parts store? Nah, there must be places that sell them and I am asking the wrong question.

I was told I can get it from Bus Depot, but that's a bummer in that I have to order, wait, pull the joint, see if it can be reused, and then maybe order a new CV, wait, and install it.....

First I want to take the shaft off and see what I am up against.

I think I am missing something here that would make this a lot easier. Anyone bought this 12 point tool at Sears, Home Depot, FLAPS, or whatever? Its not mentioned at all in any of the writeups that I have seen, as being a hard part to find.

Might not be good that I am not in need of the van because its giving me too much time to sit and think, when I ought to be out there taking it apart and getting it done. Therefore, I want to find this '12 point' socket tool and get going.

I know that I am now going around in circles about this, so go ahead and tell me how far off the track I have gotten :-)

Thanks for any ideas,

John