Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:41:01 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: List Vendors ignoring people

I think you assume too much and are over simplifying. Some people have such busy work days that they don't get to spend much time on email during what they consider their work hours. For them, reading Vanagon list mail is quite likely done during a break from whatever madness a retail guy has to deal with most days. Been there, done that, never again. Many salesmen are smoozers who like to chat and that is often a key to their sales success. Email just does not allow for the one on one feedback that they are good at and enjoy.

Not that this applies to anyone on either end of this discussion but it is a recognized fact of retail business that some customers cost so much in time to deal with that you just can't afford to satisfy all their requests for product information. Add to this that some vendors may type slowly and it just takes them too much time to properly answer some questions using email. Before responding they may want a little more info to narrow down the question so they don't have to type a novel. I order from auto parts vendors all the time and many of them just don't give priority to out of the blue email inquiries. I know that when I need something fast or have a question about a product I better call. Half the time I won't get through and leaving a voice mail will just fool me into thinking I have done something but won't help me get parts. There are 3 parts places in SoCal that I order from and nothing but a personal call reliably gets a satisfactory response. When I stop in to see them the reason is clear. They are so busy talking to and taking orders from live humans that something has to give. Until you have actually spent some money with them you should expect to take a back seat to those who have.

Lastly, some customers make a habit of asking questions that can't or shouldn't be answered. These types of questions are red flags to the vendor and asking them gets you ignored. I sure each vendor has his own list of these. Any care to speak up?

Mark