Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:16:36 -0700
From:         Anonymous Digest <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: Just interesting observation & More Questions

The issue of the clacking lifters has long intrigued me, as I know about it, I have had it for a long time, and no oil filter or viscosity of oil has ever made a difference. I kind of left out the history of the engine, because I posted without thinking of how my words would be viewed. :-) I am aware that my lifters are old and tired and are the cause of the noise, but at least now, it seems I have found a way to lighten the abuse of starting it after it has sat for a long time, and that can only help extend its life a bit more.

Parking the van on the slight incline makes a difference, and although I am pleased that it does, I have no explanation of why it helps. If I drove the van up onto your basic set of ramps, it would be more than twice the incline that my driveway introduces. I know that the oil pan is not very deep, so I guess a small angle makes a big difference, but I am still trying to picture why it helps, and am not getting very good reception on that picture, yet....

Frankly, I don't even know yet exactly what the noise is when it starts up clattering like it does. Its not clattering rocker arms, like in my old V8s when they needed adjustment, it is a noise from inside, towards the center of the engine, and it is loud. If I was new to the Van engine, I would be sure that it was going to self destruct. <g>

How much difference is there between the length/height of a lifter that is drained/collapsed, and one that is all pumped up and ready to rock? The noise is pretty intense for what I perceive to be a very small amount of slop.

FWIW, the engine runs just as well when it is noisy as when it quiets down, and when it is quiet, it runs so smooth it makes me cry to think I will have to replace it if I want to get back to a fair amount of power. Its tired, but it runs so very smooth and quiet.......

I will listen as well to the wisdom of those more in the know than I, but I don't think that the oil filter can have any effect on this problem, with or without a check valve, on an air cooled engine, as it is prefectly vertical, and if there is enough oil in the engine, the filter is full, and a check valve isn't going to do anything. Given an angled mount, like on the water cooled engines, I can sort of see it. The filter is below the sump, so I have no idea how any check valve can keep oil from draining out of the upper reaches of the engine. Its a mystery to me.

Once in a while, over the years, when it is really noisy, I will put in 1/2 qt of MMO, and it quiets down after a while. Did the MMO help, or did it just get quiet as it normally would? I have no idea but I am sure the MMO can't hurt, and it might have helped, so if someone is clattering away, try the Mystery Oil and see what happens.

Also, I have asked this before and it slipped through the cracks, but in the world of engine rebuilds I grew up in, not any VWs in the bunch, installing new lifters on a cam with 200K miles is frowned upon and tends to wipe out the cam after not very long. What is the opinion of those who know more than I do, about this?

Thanks for all the feedback and comments,

John