Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:08:32 -0700
From:         Richard A Jones <jones@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [Syncro] 2nd propane tank/heater-Dual tank instalation!
Comments: To: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net>
Comments: cc: Syncro@yahoogroups.com, saltss@copper.net

Dennis:

This method is neither wrong nor dangerous. I think your analysis of it is wrong. I checked before I did it and had my local RV expert help. Connecting the low pressure outlet side of two regulators is also a practice in various industrial and home setups. It is safe.

If both tanks are open, the regulator with the higher pressure setting will be emptied first, then when its output pressure drops to equal the setting of the other, the second tank will start to empty. Having check valves is used in some setups where one wants to disconnect the empty tank from the regulator to refill without shutting off the other tank in use. A Westy tank is refilled without touching the regulator.

A regulator will not "vent" propane--unless it has gone bad. The vent (or two vents on the Westy regulators) are primarily to allow the diaphragm to operate. The vent is "behind" the diaphragm--that is on the opposite side from the propane--so the diaphragm isn't pushing against a sealed compartment. Only if it ruptures does it vent propane--this is regulator failure.

The regulator you favor works well with a pair of RV DOT tanks, connected with high-pressure pigtails to the regulator. The regulator is separated from the tank like most DOT setups. These are not mounted underneath RVs since the DOT are vertical tanks.

The Westy is wisely designed with the regulator connected to the POL valve and protected by a mud flap and the skid plate. Why defeat this and run a high pressure line across underneath? I've seen oil filters punctured by rocks; I wouldn't want a high pressure line under my syncro. And how to mount this regulator safely protected since it is a vertical setup? The RVparts web site states that the regular horizontal, side-vent regulator is "mandatory for use on horizontal tanks"--the Westy setup exactly.

Lastly, remember that the purpose of two tanks is to not run out of propane, so only one tank is open at a time. I note when I have to switch tanks to refill the empty one.

Connecting the low pressure output side of two regulators is easy and achieves the desired result very simply--and it is safe.

Richard A Jones Boulder, Colorado