Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:39:45 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Just interesting observation & More Questions(oil filters)

About a year ago I was busy tearing down several subaru engines. I still had all the filters in my drain pan a few months ago when cleaning up stuff. So I cut them all open and checked type of media, bypass, and pressure (relative) of the valves. I had a purolator, fram, subaru, and AC Delco. Reading the small print on the subaru, it was also purolator.

The fram bypass was extremely hard to press compared to the others and I immediately thought of oil starved cold engines.

The ac delco was extremely easy to push open so I had thoughts of oil filtering performance.

The subaru branded version of the purolator seemed to be built to a slightly different spec than the off the shelf purolator. The filtering media itself felt different and under a magnifier was different.

Everything else on the purolator and subaru version was the same.

I sent an email to one filter mfr asking questions and to not send me the canned answer. Was surprised when I got a real answer about two weeks after the canned answer that I expected and got.

Basically stated.. The specs that filter manufacturers use are compromises to make the filter work for several makes of engine using the same size filter and realizing that customers donšt always do the right thing. Quality filters are generally made well above the minimum needs.

The automotive mfr however goes to the other extreme of overbuilding its filter specs because it wants to make absolutely sure that a couple dollar filter is not the weak link in 20 to 40 thousand dollar item that can get a lot of warrantee costs.

Personally though I do not buy Fram or AC Delco from the FLAPS. And I never buy discount filters. (the filter note also had a comment on filters "noname ....sized to fit not spec") jimt