Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 2004 18:06:34 -0500
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Don't do this at home

After some mid-morning work (putting a new drive shaft into my 6 cylinder Subaru SVX powered Westy), it was off to Lowe's to pick up my special order of ceiling tiles. Oh, I also fixed a tail light on the trailer I was hauling.

So I get to Lowe's. I'm figuring 100 boxes (my order) was going to come on two pallets. Yes, it did. I figured one pallet would go on the trailer, and I'd stick most of the rest of the 2nd pallet in to the Westy. But, there was one little issue. I figured the weight of each box would be somewhere around 20 pounds. It was really 32 pounds.

My trailer capacity is 1500 pounds. Single axle. And due to the fork lift they have, we couldn't put the pallet directly on the trailer. We had to put the individual pieces on. Not having brought straps, that meant I could only neatly accomodate 47 boxes (1500 pounds, more or less). 53 boxes went into the westy (folded the rear seat down, they neatly slid right in. )

I've upgraded this Vanagon in many ways. Bigger wheels and tires. Stiffer shocks. Stronger springs. Upgraded brakes. 6 cylinder engine.

So my stops were a little longer (I didn't want the stuff in the van sliding forward). Otherwise I was able accelerate faster than a stock waterboxer and an empty van. 3200 pounds of weight (inside and trailered). No problem at all.

Man, I >LOVE< this Subaru engine.