Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:47:31 -0600
From:         Warren Lail <wlail@OU.EDU>
Subject:      Big day at the parts yard

By the Powers!

Today ole Billy Bones and I went to Wilson's VW Parts Yard - it's closing for good - and I pulled parts most of the day. Vanagonauts would have been all over it. Most people there were after bug and bay stuff, so I had all of the Vanagons to myself. Most of them had been picked over pretty well, but I managed to find some cool stuff.

Bought: the following items (all came from a 91 GL) Left and right tail light assemblies (my ever so slightly cracked one (passenger side) is now for sale) Left and right turn signal assemblies (my ever so slightly cracked (driver side) one is now for sale) Fuel pump (tested it and it works - or at least it hums - hope it works) Engine tin (mine was missing) Weather stripping for both front doors (when I had my bus painted, my weatherstripping got painted - not good) Those front weather strips that bolt into the front door frame (had to take the doors off to get them) Rear side marker lights Left and right dash vents

AND (these are real treasures) I purchased two official VW ProTraining manuals. One is called "Vanagon/Type II Fuel Systems" and it has three sections (AFC, Digijet, & Digifant) and the other manual is called "Digifant I / Digifant II 1987-1989 ProTraining Manual."

Of course, I helped Greg T. with all of his bay window stuff. All in all, it was a great day to be a VW enthusiast.

Now some news for anyone interested. Everything at the place is going to be crushed (much already has been). BUT - there is an air-cooled Westy - sort of a tan/brown color - with a nice interior, automatic tranny, and an engine - in other words a complete bus - but it does not run. The body was very nice. Cabinets, etc., all looked good. I did not pop the top, and the guy selling this stuff knows nothing about the engine (he inherited the place). Asking price: $500. Call Steve Carr at (405) 872-5533. I have no connection with this place nor with Mr. Carr. He is a nice fellow and my guess is that the price is negotiable.

There are lots of good doors, rear hatches, windows, etc. still available. But I imagine that you will need to act fast - the crusher is on site - and shiver me timbers, tis a ghastly thing to see a crusher in amongst all of those VWs.

Oh yes, my total out of pocket? $105. All Billy Bones needed was a treasure chest to put all that loot into.

Warren Lail 88 Westy "Billy Bones"