Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:14:47 -0800
From:         jbclem1 <jbclem1@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Looking for a generic seal for large sliding metal sunroof

This isn't quite a Vanagon question, it's for a 1977 Bus with the large sliding metal sunroof, but I'd think it would apply to the Vanagon sliding metal sunroof (there is one, isn't there?). The original seal is unavailable, and was getting ridiculously expensive when it was...so I've been looking for the correct material to make my own. The original german seal was felt and what's left of mine isn't enough to tell what the thickness or shape was.

Does anyone know what the specifications are for the original German felt seal. Or, has anyone replaced it with some other kind of seal? I've found a web site ( http://www.mcmaster.com/) with many different types of sealing material, avaible by the foot, but I don't know the most critical measurement, the thickness, and most of their seals are non felt and have some kind of bulb shape.

Hoping this isn't too obtuse a subject,

Regards, John