Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Dec 2004 03:53:15 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Big day at the parts yard
Comments: To: wlail@OU.EDU

I'm sorry to hear them closing up for good. I went over there years ago(maybe 1994 or there abouts) when I lived in Arkansas and they fixed me up with a good 2.0 from a vanagon that I temped in my 79 until I could get my engine rebuilt. Very nice crew working there. I remember seeing a 1974 standard beetle(the darker green color) with some body damage on it. The owner said it only had 14k on it. back then he said he'd been offered $14,000 for it as is and he wouldn't sell. Always wondered what happened to that beetle. they also had a nice 91 White GL with automatic on the lot and wanted $10k for it. I still have a couple of their floppy plastic key fobs complete with their 800 number on display somewhere in the house. Maybe someday they'll be collector's items!

DM&FS

At 07:47 PM 12/18/2004, Warren Lail wrote: >By the Powers! > >Today ole Billy Bones and I went to Wilson's VW Parts Yard - it's closing >for good - and I pulled parts most of the day. >Vanagonauts would have been all over it. Most people there were after bug >and bay stuff, so I had all of the Vanagons to >myself. Most of them had been picked over pretty well, but I managed to >find some cool stuff. > >Bought: the following items (all came from a 91 GL) >Left and right tail light assemblies (my ever so slightly cracked one >(passenger side) is now for sale) >Left and right turn signal assemblies (my ever so slightly cracked (driver >side) one is now for sale) >Fuel pump (tested it and it works - or at least it hums - hope it works) >Engine tin (mine was missing) >Weather stripping for both front doors (when I had my bus painted, my >weatherstripping got painted - not good) >Those front weather strips that bolt into the front door frame (had to >take the doors off to get them) >Rear side marker lights >Left and right dash vents > >AND (these are real treasures) I purchased two official VW ProTraining >manuals. One is called "Vanagon/Type II >Fuel Systems" and it has three sections (AFC, Digijet, & Digifant) and >the other manual is called "Digifant I / Digifant >II 1987-1989 ProTraining Manual." > > >Of course, I helped Greg T. with all of his bay window stuff. All in all, >it was a great day to be a VW enthusiast. > >Now some news for anyone interested. Everything at the place is going to >be crushed (much already has been). >BUT - there is an air-cooled Westy - sort of a tan/brown color - with a >nice interior, automatic tranny, and an engine - >in other words a complete bus - but it does not run. The body was very >nice. Cabinets, etc., all looked good. I did >not pop the top, and the guy selling this stuff knows nothing about the >engine (he inherited the place). >Asking price: $500. Call Steve Carr at (405) 872-5533. I have no >connection with this place nor with Mr. Carr. >He is a nice fellow and my guess is that the price is negotiable. > >There are lots of good doors, rear hatches, windows, etc. still >available. But I imagine that you will need to act >fast - the crusher is on site - and shiver me timbers, tis a ghastly thing >to see a crusher in amongst all of those VWs. > >Oh yes, my total out of pocket? $105. All Billy Bones needed was a >treasure chest to put all that loot into. > >Warren Lail >88 Westy "Billy Bones"