Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:18:01 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 91 Carat Front Bumper
Comments: To: Trvlr2001@aol.com

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:41:19 EST, No Name Available <Trvlr2001@aol.com> wrote: > Hi All, > I have an 85, that I would like to install the bumpers & trim on, > from a 90 Carat parts bus that I have. > How big of a job is it? > Any pointers? > TIA, > John C. > SLC, UT....

John,

The mounting points of the fiberglass bumpers are slightly different from the metal bumpers. The two front bolts need to be replaced with the ones that came with the fiberglass bumper. They are Allen headbolts vs. the 13mm bolts on the steel bumpers. That's the easiest part.

The lower part of the glass bumper has a metal bracket that is supposed to bolt onto a metal bracket which is welded into the fiberglass bumper-equipped vans. You will need to either cut take this from the donor van and weld it to yours or use some very big washers to make up the difference. The brackets on he fiberglass bumpers will fall about 1/2 inch lower than the front diagonal members that they are supposed to bolt to. I used cut-up sections of nylon cutting board as giant washers to solve that problem.

As for the top of the bumper, the fiberglass bumpers are supported by ribs built into the bumper itself plus two steel tabs welded to the front bumper structure. I cut the old one out of the donor van and riveted it into place. You can weld them if you so desire. If that piece is not available, you can make up some steel supports out of stock steel from the local hardware store. Or go the route of using nylon supports there too.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you need even more specific information.

BenT