Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:05:03 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: VW Trends Bites The Dust....
Comments: To: kayakjr@JUNO.COM

From what little I read of these magazines, I find it interesting that this "tour" of shops these restos and engine projects go through seem to stop at advertisers in the magazine. I guess not doing that would not help their bottom line, but perhaps reading about how someone found xyz part at Aunt Millies yard sale and the pqr part on ebay for half what Scat sold it for isn't in their best interest. Us old folk long for the stories and columns about a writer having a flat in his or her 1500 Notchback on a country road, having to hike to the nearest farm house for a spare tool to borrow, and discovering a '51 barn door transporter the farmer is willing to let go of for $300.

QWhen it gets right down to it, this list is the best magazine for the do it yourself project guy and gal and think of all the glossy paper we don't have to buy.

DM&FS

At 11:30 AM 12/19/2004, John Reynolds wrote: >It's that same thing all the time with these magazines. Look at "insert >owner's name here"car! Hardly any do-it yourself cars, because they are >not up to the over the top level of the professionally done cars. A >vanagon shows up about every 5 years in these mags. > >I saw one article on a old splittie that was screaming how the >restoration was done in only 5 months. After reading the article, all >the owner did was take the chrome and trim off and have it refinished. >The story was how it went from shop to shop, getting the body, interior , >engine and trans done by the "experts" in each field. then the van came >home and the owner put the trim and taillights on. > >Fine way to go, nice fihished project, but don't expect me the me amazed >at the effort. > >We need a "Messin' About in Boats" mag about VW's! > >John