Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Dec 2004 16:11:49 -0600
From:         Jim Felder <felder@KNOLOGY.NET>
Subject:      Reconditioned rods-necessary for diesel, too?

On Dec 27, 2004, at 1:26 AM, Al and Sue Brase wrote:

> Jim: > Many years ago, I worked in an automotive machine shop that > specialized in high performance work. Most engines need their rods > rebuilt to stay alive at higher outputs and engine speeds. > We used Sunnen precision honing equipment. One needs to push out the > old bolts; use the cap grinder to take off a slight amount off the cap > and rod at the parting line; reassemble and retorque to spec with new > bolts; then put it on the precision honing mandrel and gradually bring > it up to the minimum ID spec size, while checking the size with the > bore gauge.

Yep, I got the concept now. Bob D. Explained it pretty well also. I have a machinist's background (long time ago) but was unfamiliar with the operation. It does stand to reason that a "work-tempered" rod with a renewed big-end hole would be better than a new rod.

Is this operation necessary on all waterboxer rebuilds, or only those who measure out of spec? Is it recommended to do this to the 1.6 diesel rods as well?

Jim