Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:38:57 -0800
From:         Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: V-Belt Pully Bolt
Comments: To: Ken Winsor <kwinsor@stny.rr.com>

I seem to remember getting the main pulley bolt off with a 6 ft piece of jack handle over a 1/2" socket drive and having my wife standing on the block for stability. The block was on the concrete floor of my garage. I may have used some additional weight and pieces of wood to stabilize the block. I remember that it only took a couple of minutes and that the wife was surprised that she didn't have to do much except balance for a minute

If the problem is stopping the rotation of the pulley, you can stop it a tool (I don't have it) or by bolting some scrap metal to the pulley. I think there is an explanation in the John Muir book and probably a more thorough description in the list archives.

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:18:02 -0500, Ken Winsor <kwinsor@stny.rr.com> wrote: > Hello All, > > I'm hoping for a little advice. I have the engine out of my '88 Westy (2.1 WBX) and it's in my basement. Initially, I was just going to replace the heads, clutch, water pump, ..... but since I have the engine out, I've decided I'll split the case and measure up the crank, and replace the bearings if required. > > Well, I have a little problem. I don't have a fancy engine stand (unless you consider a wood crate fancy) and I can't get the leverage needed to remove the pulley bolt. Specifically, I don't have the means of anchoring the engine while I apply the required torque. So I was thinking about splitting the case and just removing the crank with the pulley still attached, and after it's out, take it over to a local machine shop and have them remove it. Is that a reasonable approach? Also, I have to ask this silly question ........ is the bolt a standard left-hand thread to remove? Any other suggestions? > > Thanks all! > > Ken >