Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 27 Dec 2004 20:52:46 -0800
From:         ".the.bitchn.brick." <kite.wagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Help BusDepot Donate to Tsunami Victims

I'd like to add my support for both Ron's gesture and for donating directly to Docs w/out Borders (aka medicins san frontiers MSF)--- this group puts donated money almost directly onto the ground, and won a Nobel Peace Prize a few years back. [I give donations to them in the names of F&F as Christmas presents.]

It really is going to take a global effort to give out the help thats needed over there... heres to pitching in.

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 18:30:59 -0800, Tom Young <tomyoung1@comcast.net> wrote: > A generous and magnificent gesture. I'll be making my donation directly. > > Let's pass this on to the "big boy" auto parts vendors (NAPA, Kragens, etc.) > and see if any one of them will step up to the plate! > --------------------------------------------------- > Tom Young > Lafayette, CA 94549 > --------------------------------------------------- > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "The Bus Depot" <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 5:52 PM > Subject: Help BusDepot Donate to Tsunami Victims > > I'm sure that by now most of you have heard of the tsunamis/earthquake in > Asia that have killed more than 23,000 people so far. Malaria and cholera > will probably now kill tens of thousands of the initial survivors. And > literally millions more - yes, millions - are severely injured and/or have > lost their homes and all of their belongings. Many of them were already the > poorest of the poor, and have now lost everything they have in life, > including their loved ones, even if they do survive the disaster. According > to the United Nations (quoted by the Associated Press), this may be the > worst natural disaster of modern times, and will certainly require the > biggest relief effort the world has ever seen. Said one U.N. aid worker, "We > are used to dealing with disasters in one country, but something like this > spread across many countries and islands is unprecedented. We have not had > this before." To put this tragedy in a U.S. perspective, the death toll at > the outset is almost ten times that of the 9/11 tragedy, and is climbing > rapidly. > > The Bus Depot has always donated a portion of our profits to humanitarian > charities on an ongoing basis. (See http://busdepot.com/help.jsp#DONATIONS > .) But I feel that the severity of this disaster demands special attention. > > So from now until New Years, 25 percent of the net profits of BusDepot.com > sales will be donated to Doctors Without Borders, to provide medical relief > for the victims of this tragedy. > > You do not need to do anything special to request this when you place a > BusDepot order. It does not apply only to those who request it. We will > donate this amount from all sales, regardless of whether the person placing > the order knows about the donation or mentions it. > > Of course you don't need to buy Vanagon parts in order to make a difference. > If you don't need any Vanagon parts, or simply want to donate more, you can > always donate directly to http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org or the > charity of your choice. > > While we worry about trivialities like our Vanagons and the daily grind of > "western world" living, it's easy to forget that there are millions of > people in this world whose everyday lives are more horrible than the single > worst day that we will experience in our entire privileged lives. It is > unimaginable to see such tragedy befall those who already have so little to > begin with. We truly are the lucky ones. > > - Ron Salmon > The Bus Depot, Inc. > www.busdepot.com > (215) 234-VWVW > > _____________________________________________ > Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT >