Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:   Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:00:11 -0600
From:   John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:   Re: Need speedometer for '88
Comments:   To: Don in North Carolina <Don_Dixon@BELLSOUTH.NET>

I went through this with my 88 GL. Did a teardown on the Speedo several times. Even built a device to prevent that shaft from slipping out. Tried fastening the potmetal gear to the drive shaft. Nothing worked for more than a few days. Finally bought a new one from Camelback VW. - $180. I'm happy now. No more problems ..... until the next time.

The alternative to buying new is to find on the Net a source to have them rebuilt, or adapt a later VW speedo to do the job.

Good luck

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver