Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:46:12 +1300
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: From the vw news rumor mill

>Interestingly enough is that "Auto Union" was the corporate name for Audi >before Volkswagen purchased/merged with them. For guys like me in the parts >biz (who have been around too long), every time I see the Auto Union name I >think of Audi, not Volkswagen. Auto Union really put out some crap/junk in >their day. Talk about going backwards.....

Actually Auto Union (pronounced somethying close to "owto oohnyun"... Raimund?) was a manufacturer before WW2... its SOHC (one camshaft for both banks!) 5-liter V16 openwheeler racers were legendary, and could spin the wheels in top gear at 160kmh!

What is now known as Audi was (at least for a while) DKW until VW bought it in the late 60s... and relabeled the cars Audi 80 & Audi 90... these were the direct ancestors of the first "modern" Audi 80 (also sold with VW Passat badges) in 1973 and I think it was reskinned as the disatrously-unreliable VW K70; the K70 shared inboard front discs and the FWD inline straight-4 engine/transaxle layout with Audis. >Depends on what you mean by "in their day". When the Auto Union was first >formed (the 30's), they produced world class vehicles, as well as the some >of the fatest race cars in the world. Post-war Auto Union is something >completely different (e.g., NSU).

Hey, the NSU RO80 was a great car. Along with the late-60s Toyota Corona, it was before its time stylingwise, as both had shovel-noses not otherwise to be seen until about 1978. The RO80 had an unreliable Wankel engine. The NSU Prinz before it was an interesting and good wee car, a bit of a ripper with a rear-mounted four and of course IRS. -- Andrew Grebneff Dunedin New Zealand Fossil preparator <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut