Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Dec 2004 08:02:32 -0500
From:         Wes Ullrich <wullrich@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Michelin XCA and steel wheels for sale PNW

Having lived there last summer, you would be fine between mid May and october, except for the freak storm. The bigger threat in the summer months would be the abundance of dirt roads and bad surfaces of some of the paved ones. ex, the Alaska Highway is a bit rough in parts. Take them there after october though, and youre SOL, as I found out trying to get up a 5% incline with all seasons.

Wes

&gt;What am I missing here? &gt; &gt;&quot;This is a great set of tires to go to Alaska. --clip-- The only &gt;negative I &gt;can see is that they are not that great in the snow.&quot; &gt; &gt;Now, I've only been to Alaska once, but- somehow those two phrases &gt;don't &gt;seem to go together like peanut butter and chocolate. &gt; &gt;&quot;I might give you a discount if you promise to go to Alaska next &gt;summer.&quot; &gt; &gt;What if I actually go? What if I promise but don't go? What if I &gt;promise to &gt;go to Alaska but actually go to, say, Whitehorse? Why does it have &gt;to be &gt;next summer? &gt;Whaddya mean 'might'? I could make the promise and still not get the &gt;discount? What's the deal-breaker there? What's the fetish to get &gt;these &gt;tires into Alaska? Why not take 'em yourself? &gt; &gt;Somebody help me, I'm confused! &gt; &gt;Cya, &gt;Robert &gt; &gt;----- Original Message ----- &gt;From: &quot;John Reddick&quot; &lt;SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM&gt; &gt;To: &lt;vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&gt; &gt;Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2004 7:55 PM &gt;Subject: Michelin XCA and steel wheels for sale PNW &gt; &gt; &gt;&gt;Hey; &gt;&gt; I finally bit the bullet and bought a set of Gowesty alloy rims &gt;&gt;and &gt;&gt;wheels. They do look great and ride and handle great. I have a set &gt;&gt;of 4 &gt;&gt;Michelin XCA 205-75R14 tires with about 20K on them. They have &gt;&gt;more than &gt;&gt;60% tread (maybe 70%) left. They are rated at over 2200 per tire &gt;&gt;and 8 &gt;&gt;ply rated (that means no flats). They handle great (no VW bus &gt;&gt;Dance after &gt;&gt;a semi goes by). &gt;&gt; This is a great set of tires to go to Alaska. You won't get &gt;&gt;flats. &gt;&gt;The only negative I can see is that they are not that great in the &gt;&gt;snow. &gt;&gt;Rain they are OK. &gt;&gt; I would like 250 US for the set including the wheels. I might &gt;&gt;give &gt;&gt;you a discount if you promise to go to Alaska next summer. I will &gt;&gt;deliver &gt;&gt;within 100 miles of Bellingham, WA. Included in the delivery is a &gt;&gt;test &gt;&gt;drive of a 230 HP Subaru SVX powered 87 Westy. &gt;&gt; &gt;&gt;John &gt;&gt;87 Westy SVX