Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Dec 2004 15:41:17 -0500
From:         Scott Grillo <sgrillo@FLYTWA.NET>
Subject:      Vanagon Name

--- ---Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:19:19 -0800 ---From: Jeffrey Schwaia <jeff@VANAGONPARTS.COM> ---Subject: Re: Vanagon name --- ---I go to Europe quite frequently, and I rarely see any Toyota Hiace's ---tootling around. --- ---Jeff ---

However, I travel to the Middle East, Carribean and South America. In the MidEast, all sorts of Toyota vans that you don't see elsewhere. Same thing this week in Bolivia.

Always interesting to note where Vanagons (Transporters) are seen. In Europe it is always the 'old' work truck. Even the last time I was in Germany, you don't see too many of the rear engine ones. In Italy, it's inevitably a work truck. I have seen quite a few doublecabs though at certain military airfields though. In the Mideast, more likely to see a bay window, as in south america (which makes sense in south america, as the Bay was still being produced up until a few years ago)

Never forget seeing new bays in Mexico City a couple of years ago, with a big grille in the front for a radiator (they were putting I4's in the at the factory in Brazil). Gosh, if I could've of figured out a way to get one legally in the US, I would have placed the order right then and there! They were pretty spartan, either a stripped cargo van or a very basic passenger config. But it would've been new, with an I4. Oh well, they stopped making those last year I think.