Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:58:49 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: snow reliability

We went from below zero to almost 50 degrees F today so I replaced my exhaust manifold. Strange but everything on my van is extremely old and extremely highly used but I have very few problems with it. The PO had park stickers for parks in states ranging from the east coast to the west and BC and MB and Tiajuana. The odometer read 150k but there was a note with the paperwork that showed the speedo had been repaired in BC at the same time as a new air cooled engine was put in. the note was 150k which was done 4 years before I bought the van which read 153k at that time. The west coast travel and mexico and texas was after that engine change and speedo repair. I estimate that my odometer is 10k low putting me very near 200k on the westy. As I am tearing it down for a remodel of the kitchen area I am finding where repairs were done in extremely professional methods. It is only because I am spotting little clues to nonfactory that is revealing it. Like I said this westy probably saw a lot more travel and use than most. I compared my notes last week with a major RV dealership locally and found that my estimates of usage and replace match very closely to their own records of maintenance on the RV of that period that are still on the road. He even commented that it would be nice to see other small RV built to the quality of the Westy vanagons. He said that most of the small us made conversions of that time are no longer on the roads because they were not put together well. And then he mentioned sportcamper as an exception. Some of you may have their camper mod for vanagons. jimt

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com