Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:59:14 -0800
From:         "the.mobile.conference.room" <kite.wagon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      did i kill it?? [temp-sensitive oil pressure light]

So about ten minutes from home last night (in the midst of this crazy SoCal rainstorm we're having) my oil pressure LED came on, very gradually. alarmed i exited 101 immediately, pulled into a sheltered Chevron island and shut down.

Tried to look at all the logical stuff (whilst strategizing about how to get home and where to leave the van), but found no oil dripping or pooling under the engine, oil cap was tightly screwed on, no obvious leakage in the engine area when i took the cover off. After 15 minutes, the dipstick read that she was only about 1/4 quart low (oil changed about 1k ago).

I figured since the engine did appear to have plenty of oil it was safe to start up and at least move it to a parking spot before calling the tow truck. Close to 30min has passed by now. I finally psyched myself up to start up the van (and free up the gas pump i was blocking) and....

the oil pressure light was off. I idled for a minute and it stayed unlit. WTF?? i thought, was this just an imagined crisis? Maybe the crazy rain set off the oil pressure light switch somehow. Proceeded to drive, with a bit of euphoria, the last 10 minutes to home. No light most of the way, but just before the last hill the LED began to re-illuminate, verrry faintly. However, as the engine continued to warm, it got brighter. Peak was prolly 50% brightness compared to test light when you start the engine. Interestingly, I coasted down a hill and it appeared to dim slightly as the thermostat went down.

Also, as before, there was no perceptible change in sound or feel of the van.

I realize i shouldve stopped again, but it was cats and dogs and by that time i was only a couple miles from home... so i kissed the rosary and babyed it the rest of the way home.

Then laid awake with guilt and anxiety all night long.

thoughts, oh wise ones? thanks in advance for any shared. sp