Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:13:06 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: WTB: heater switch
Comments: To: Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@MCHSI.COM>

At 02:36 12/28/2004, Al and Sue Brase wrote: >Call me a glass-half-empty guy, but if your fan switch works for 15 >years and then melts, what is happening here?

The switch seems marginal for the load; the circuit definitely is.

>I've replaced them and replaced them and put in 30 amp fuses when the >smaller ones burned out. But what was wrong was that the blower motor >was drawing to much because its lube was gone.

Any idea what they were actually drawing? I measured 12 amps on a new blower (running in free air, direct from a 12v battery) and the same for two that I unstuck and cleaned up. They weren't turning before, so no numbers.

> (This is not a job for >the faint of heart!) On taking the blower motor out, it is not >serviceable, but I've drilled a hole in each end of the plastic fan and >dripped light oil onto the shaft.

Or you can press/drive the rotor off the shaft and do a more thorough job. But not as you say for the faint-hearted or those without mechanical intuition. Incidentally all three that I've worked on had brushes in almost-new condition, commutator in fine shape except needing the slots cleaned, dry felts, dry bearings.

david

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"