Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:03:44 -0700
From:         Anonymous Digest <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      CV assembly, redux

Hi all,

I posted about this a while ago, but perhaps it was either overlooked, or maybe everyone is just bored with the topic? :-)

Either way, I figure to ask again, maybe phrase it better to make more sense.

This is what I am seeing:

I obtained a used axle with both both joints attached. One end is completely assembled while at the other end, the outer hub had fallen off. No big deal.

I cleaned the one end up, and assembled it to see how it is done. I didn't get to note which way the outer hub went on, relative to the groove, as it was off when I got it. The web sites and writeups all say that the groove on the outer hub should be away from the axle, so I put it on that way. This went together, but gave me a joint with no play, no range of motion, no worky.

I took off the hub, and turned it around so the groove faced into the axle, and that went together easily to give me the kind of motion and range I expected. This confused me, so I peeked into the greasy bag at the other end, :-) to a joint that was working and never dissassembled, and the groove on that joint was facing into the axle as well.

Okay, this means the joint only goes together one way, and what I am looking at are two joints that were simply put on the axle opposite from the way the web sites all say, right?

It doesn't matter which way you put the joint on? Is it true that the hub can only go on the assembly one way?

It seems reasonable to think that once the joint is properly assembled, it can go onto the axle either way. Is there something here I should be concerned about? I am following the steps about the hub alignment, aka, narrow, wide, narrow wide, and since the cage was never removed, there is no way it is on wrong.

If you understand what I am saying <g> I would appreciate some input, as I would rather take time now, than when I am a hundred miles from home and the joint fails because I screwed up the assembly.

Thanks,

John