Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:34:53 -0700
From:         jimt <camper@TACTICAL-BUS.INFO>
Subject:      Re: Starter Bushing report...longish....ugh!
Comments: To: "David J. Bohannan" <david.bohannan@VERIZON.NET>

On 12/30/04 11:12 AM, "David J. Bohannan" <david.bohannan@VERIZON.NET> wrote:

> All, > > > > I have continually had problems with my starter on this 85 so I ventured > into getting that horrible little piece of brass (at least it looks > brass) out of the hole in the starter cavity…. > > > > Thanks to those that posted the idea to use a tap…a 7/16” fit perfectly > and ran the bushing right out of the hole…a bit tricky getting the tap > to turn since the rental had the wrong size T handle…I worked out my own > little concoction using a ¼” extension and ¼” wrench to turn the > extension…worked perfectly… > > > > The problem I DID have…. > > > > As I was pounding (or attempting to pound) the new bushing in, I wasn’t > quite getting it in there all the way…I was using a socket that was just > about the same size as the bushing attached to a 3/8” extension. As I > was figuring how it fit up against the bushing, I decided to stupidly > remove the socket from the extension- fat fingered it and dropped the > socket down into the hole that accommodates the flywheel…in the process > it wedged itself in there pretty darn good. > > > > After much prayer and working at it, I managed to get it out (blindly) > with a pair of dollar store needle nose pliers….I can’t believe I > actually used them for something... > > > > She’s all buttoned back together and the starter seems to turn better > than any other starter I have had on this vehicle (this is number 4)… > > > > There seemed to be a lack of guidance for ya ya heads like me in > INSTALLATION of the new bushing…what have you all had success with? I > can only imagine had I dropped the BUSHING into that same hole the > socket dropped in…I don’t think I would have ever gotten it out…maybe > with some kind of hook or something, but anyway…. > > > > I am glad I work from home. I can’t imagine what it would be like > walking into corporate America with my hands as dirty as they are now… > > > > Dave > > 85 “Baby Bus” > > When replacing starter bushings I get a long bolt and a nut for it and some heavy grease.

The bolt needs to be very close in diameter to the hole in the bushing. Run the nut up the bolt for the length of the bushing and then place a dab of grease on it and then the bushing. The grease holds the bushing on. Then guide into hole and tap in.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com