Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:18:16 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Jackin' Up The Van
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craigoda@GMAIL.COM>

The key in lifting your engine for whatever reason other than to drop the engine and the lift point should only support the engine weight not the complete or even partial vehicle weight. If you lift the vehicle by placing a block or such under the engine case or tranny case you're prone to discover broken motor mounts, tranny mount and possibly damage your engine case. I've seen many engine cases welded up at the top mounting holes and a few welded up at the bottom mounting holes ........ Use some common sense in all procedures for lifting your van.

Stan Wilder Engine Ceramics 214-352-4931 www.engineceramics.com ----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Oda" <craigoda@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 11:07 AM Subject: Re: Jackin' Up The Van

Isn't is possible to jack the van up by putting the jack plate under the engine block. I think this is what the "101 projects for your porsche" book recommends. It says to put a piece of wood or something under the engine block to avoid scratching it. Any thoughts on why this wouldn't work on a vanagon?

-- Craig

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 22:16:32 -0600, Stan Wilder <wilden1-1@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > I've lifted mine many times from the steel engine yoke that the rear motor > mounts screw to. > I've never bent one doing it this way but you could also lift from the point > that the tranny mounts to the front crossbar. I've done this too but it > seems to be about a balancing point and not as stable as the rear lift > scenario. > > Stan Wilder > Engine Ceramics > 214-352-4931 > www.engineceramics.com > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Dave Chameides" <docproteus@EARTHLINK.NET> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 9:56 PM > Subject: Jackin' Up The Van > > If I have a floor jack and want to raise the van from the center rear > without doing one side and then the other (I donšt want it to tip side to > side right now) is there a center point that is strong enough to be a jack > point (keeping in mind that as soon as I get the butt up in the air, Išll be > jack standing the leafs and letting it rest back down on them). Will the > transmission hold the weight? > > Dave > > > -- > No virus found in this incoming message. > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > Version: 7.0.298 / Virus Database: 265.6.6 - Release Date: 12/28/2004 > > -- > No virus found in this outgoing message. > Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. > Version: 7.0.298 / Virus Database: 265.6.6 - Release Date: 12/28/2004 >