Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2004, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:04:53 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: '88 Westy value?
Comments: To: Al and Sue Brase <albeeee@mchsi.com>

Al,

It is interesting to hear you say that, as that is how my wife feels also. She loves the '88 interior, with armrests, nicer finishing, etc. I do too, but since we use the van only a few months of the year in reality, I am prepared to make a sacrifice, especially since I can always replace the interior with newer style for $600-1000.

It's not just fuel economy, although that is part of it. I just love diesels (I learned to drive on them), and have wanted a diesel Westy ever since getting the '88. The 2.1L has been amazingly good for us in 8 years, with no problems aside from the ECU issue (knock on wood). But that ECU issue plagued us for SIX years of intermittent misfires, always wondering when it would just die, before I finally tracked it down. Diesels just don't have those kind of problems. Much of our driving is in remote areas, so a simple engine design is very desirable.

But to be honest, I've only driven the '82 three times, since I only put a 24 hour permit on to get it home. So I really don't know how happy we would be with the '82 in the long run. Suspension differences, and lack of power steering might become issues after a while, and might become critical when driving the very rough roads we often travel on. (although lack of P/S means I don't have to rig up a P/S pump on the TD engine...). So far, most of the differences inside appear cosmetic, with a lot more painted surfaces showing on the '82, but aside from lack of armrests, I don't see much functional difference.

I appreciate the feedback, as I'm sure this issue is going to gnaw away at me for a while. It might take a few camping trips in the '82 to make the decision...