Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jan 2005 10:15:14 -0500
From:         Detroit Bus <detroit.bus@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Time to check the fuel lines! R & R !! No burnt VW's in 2005!

Following up on my post from a few weeks ago suggesting that we make a mass effort to inspect and/or replace our fuel lines on the weekend after New Year's, I'm starting this thread to discuss any problems or ideas anyone might have.

I got a head start last night and re-hosed all my injectors and the fuel rails (cigar tubes).. The most difficult task was digging out the old hose around the collar of the fuel injector. Also problematic was the fact that at least half of my hose clamps have rusted into barnacles, so I was unable to uncrew them. I had to use my x-acto knife to cut out the hose from under the clamps (after removing entire fuel rail with injectors attached from engine). This took at least 20 minutes per clamp as the hose is very strong. Two alarming findings so far: one clamp was so rusted i was able to tear it apart with my fingers, and I found tiny cracks in the underside of every injector hose--they were all originals. Yikes.

Don't forget to use proper FI clamps and high-pressure hose. Photos of these and a great step-by-step approach can be found on Ben's website, which I've been using:

http://www.benplace.com/fuel_line.htm

Hope to see some new fuel lines today out there!

-- Garrick, Queens, NY (currently in Detroit, Michigan) '87 GL Weekender

***** With fond remembrances of: '77 Beetle '67 Bus '59 Pickup sn# 460440 '67 Beetle '76 Camper Bus