Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jan 2005 15:42:57 -0500
From:         Barry Muller <ekab_muller@SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: More 2.1L coolant sys woes (long)

Thanks to all who kindly responded to my questions.

I ended up at Sears and purchased the only coolant pressure tester they had in stock. This was the "Deluxe" model with adapters for various radiators and pressure tanks. Apprently for earlier VWs, but of coure in turns out not for the Vanagon pressure tank. One of the adatpers allows one to check when the pressure cap pops though, mine did a little early = 15 PSI.

However the system worked fine without an adapater as it had a flat cap with gasket, two "fingers" that clamp quite well to the threads on the pressure tank filler and a bladder that fills inside the pressure tank. All together this system worked fine up to 17 PSI - without any adaptors.

I found the leak at the front right of the engine bay where a hose from the block attaches to a plastic fitting. The odd thing is that the hose clamp seemed tight enough and the hose position on the plastic fitting appeared correct I loosened and re-tightened everything and then the system heald pressuer at 17 PSI. Simple enough, eh?

The next task is to check how the system builds pressure when I start it when cold.

Thanks to all those who helped, especially Ken Lewis and his intriguing mods to his Doca's engine, coolant system and otherwise. What a great Vanagon.

bem