Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:29:12 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Reasonable price for 85 Westy poptop,
              how to remove and transport
Comments: To: Sam Walters <sam.cooks@verizon.net>

Sure, it is feasible. The top will fit inside a passenger Vanagon so transport is no problem if you have such available. I have also carried them upside down on another Westy but neither had a skylight and tying them down well is not easy. Bungees won't do it, get 100 feet of strong nylon cord. It is a 2 man job to remove and transport the main top section. I prefer to take the main support legs off entirely. If the canvas is shot just cut it away to start with so you can get to the tiny screws easier. Leave one loosened rear hinge bolt in place on each side until the very last thing so the top does not fall off and hurt someone. Then with the top lowered lift the rear corners one at a time to remove the last bolts. After that, one guy inside pushes up and works the top off to the rear and the second guy catches the rear end. When he has all he can handle he yells at the inside guy to get out and help.

good visegrips (for the big latch plate screws) phillips screwdrivers, all assorted sizes with *good* tips, plus 2 smaller ones for the dozens of tiny canvas hold down screws large flat blade screwdriver for luggage rack screws 1/4" drive metric socket/ratchet set 10-13 open end metric wrench set 10-13 small and medium ziplock bags masking tape and pen for labeling utility knife

I would expect to pay up to $150 for the whole thing. Usually the more you take at one time the cheaper the total cost at self serve yards. Get the front part of the upper bed along with the bed hinges and both sections of pad if you want an upper bed. Consider making a solo trip for the luggage rack and smaller parts first. Then you can be sure you have all the needed tools as well as loosen everything else before dragging a friend along for the hard part. 2 motivated guys can get the parts off in an hour or so if they know what to do. 2-3 if they are slow. It is most important to be careful not to strip the heads of the tiny screws that hold the aluminum strips to the body roof. You must have the proper fitting phillips screwdriver for the tiny screws. A cordless drill and a sharp 3/16" bit can be used to drill any damaged heads off if that becomes necessary.

Mark