Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jan 2005 11:33:20 -0800
From:         JD Foster <jidd@JIDDWARE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Question about using magnets to hold back table in place

Don't sweat it. a) your hard drive actually uses magnets to function. Dead hard drives are a great source for cheap, strong magnets b) your hard drive is in a metal case (i.e., shielded) c) most importantly, the strength of a magnetic field decreases exponentially with distance from the magnet

Any little household magnets aren't strong enough to begin to phase a hard drive, even if you took it out of the computer and rubbed them all over it. =)

Can a magnet kill a hard drive? Yes, but it would have to be a *very* strong, large magnet and be close to the actual magnetic media inside the hard drive.

However, you should keep floppy disks (if you still use them) away as they are not shielded and very susceptible to damage (both magnetic and otherwise).

Cheers, JD

----- Original Message ----- From: "Katherine J. Maas" <kathmaas@TELUS.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 11:04 AM Subject: [VANAGON] Question about using magnets to hold back table in place

I frequently travel with my laptop, and I use it on the back table. Iıve been using a bungy cord to anchor the table, but I must say Iım attracted to the magnet idea < seems more secure and easier to ³unhook². But Iım worried about using my laptop so near a magnet < couldnıt it screw up my hard drive?

Katherine & Vanita -- Katherine J. Maas "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a ride!" -- Unknown