Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jan 2005 21:01:45 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Oil Cooler seal
Comments: To: tomas fredricks <tifredricks@YAHOO.COM>

On 6 Jan 2005 at 18:20, tomas fredricks <tifredricks@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> I need some practical instruction on replacing the seal between the block > and the oil cooler on my recently acquired '86 Synchro. The old one > failed during start up on a 3 degree day. This leads to question two. > The oil that is all over my driveway is 20W50. The former owner was > adamant about not using a lower grade. The manual seems to recommend > grades appropriate to temperatures. Is there a reason for using the > heavier oil all the time?

I would say no! I assume you mean 3 deg F, which is *way* too cold to be running 20w50 dino oil in anything IMHO. I used to run 20w50 year round in my Jetta TD, only because it suffered from low oil pressure when hot, and 20w50 helped a bit (failed int shaft bearings). However, 20w50 on a zero to 5C (32-40F) morning would result in over 100psi of oil pressure at the *head* for a minute or more. (I had a mechanical gauge installed). At 5F, your oil pressure is likely far too high, not to mention taking forever to actually flow to the engine bearings. If you regularly see those temps, I'd suggest a 15w50 synthetic - I used Mobil 1 15w50 for several years in my 2.1L WBX with very good success. Due to the much better cold flow properties, a 15w50 synthetic will perform as well (better) at operating temps as 20w50, and avoid the cold pressure problems. The last several years I've run 15w40 synthetic, mainly because I buy it in bulk with my Dad (Amsoil HD Marine Diesel Oil, but it's also great in gas engines). If the PO insisted on 20w50, the van may have borderline oil pressure problems when hot which are lessened with 20w50 (has your buzzer ever gone off?), or he was just one of those guys who swears by 20w50. I used to as well...

-- Shawn Wright I.T. Manager Shawnigan Lake School