Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jan 2005 08:21:41 -0800
From:         BenT Syncro <syncro@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Other engine conversion options?<F>
Comments: To: Hans Achter <hansachter@hotmail.com>

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 09:13:34 -0500, Hans Achter <hansachter@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Ben, > Sounds like you got not one, but two screaming deals on your engine installation, so I think we can > agree that the cost of a 15° conversion is comparable to the cost of a subaru conversion, all > depending on how much you do yourself and the cost of the parts you find. > Well, I can't really agree the 50° system is cheaper yet. How much do the 50° parts cost? Do the > diesel mounting parts fit right onto a gas engine? Why does anybody bother with the 15° conversions > if the 50° parts are cheaper (it must be much easier to boot, right)? Does the 50° method fit into > a syncro? I'm not being facetious; I really don't know. > -Hans >

Hans,

Much of this in the archives. But just as a quickie, the 50° conversion (also used in the Eurospec & later Tiico) fits both Syncro and 2wd. My 1989 Syncro 16 Doka had a 1.6td from the factory (now has a 1.9td). The bellhousing for the diesel is key. The gas inline-4 is basically the same block in that the mounting points are the same. So yes it will fit the Syncro. The bellhousing is the key. You may not like to know this but I bought two other packages of diesel specific parts for installing a VW inline-4 into a Vanagon for less than $100 per set. I even passed up on a dead diesel van for free where these parts come from. As for engines, I gave away a VW fox last year which had a good engine. There's always a few cars being given away on local bulletin boards. Like anything else, the more effort you put into something, the greater the rewards.

If you really want to get down and dirty about it, I can put an engine conversion for myself for under $500 on any given day. That excludes labor. If I am yanking out an engine and selling it's remains, that could make the swap free with only my labor being the factor. Now I infrequently do major work on my cars as I am more effective making money on other enterprises and letting someone else do my grunt work. Besides, my local shop can work better and more efficiently than I can.

From the average Joe's point. The parts can be sourced from ebay or wrecking yards for $100-$500 on places like ebay. Engines are typically about $500-$1000 from wrecking yards. From that perspective the conversion may sounds more expensive. But them there are also lots of Subie conversion folks out there who get their rigs done in similar fashion and cost. Mostly more.

This is again another question which is answered extensively in the archives. The 50° mounting vs. the 15° kit has many proponents and opponents for one or the other. The 15° is more easily repeatable due to parts availability. Everything is relative. I've never had a lot of trouble getting parts. I am happy to discuss this further by pmail as I don't think we should clog the archives with issues that have been argued extensively in the past.

BenT

ps: no i am not going to do a converson for anyone else unless they can pay what i get paid for for what i do for a living. =)