Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jan 2005 10:15:48 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         roger sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      need help w/automatic transmission problem

Hello all,I am having trouble diagnosing a sound in an automatic transmission that I am trying to sell.I have contacted several list members via e-mail about this,but have recieved conflicting information.I'd like to try again,on the list.Response by listees that speak fluent 'auto trans' will be a great help.The transmission (wk 1 2005 FS automatic transmission and related parts )has only 62,000 miles on it,and I think the sound problem is located in the transmission proper ,as opposed to the final drive.This trans has been tested hard ,hard ,hard by myself and another list member .From cold to warm ,we pushed this unit to reveal any defects.It has preformed as requested,without fail.The problem is a sound that will come from the unit in a specific mode.When in second gear,and going about 15mph ,I will quickly hit,then release the accelerater several times.I get a clunk each time I hit and release.It sounds like loose u-joints,but this system has none of these .If the problem was in the final drive,I should be able to reproduce this sound doing the same thing in first gear and drive,but cannot(maybe a little in drive-hard to tell as it wants to kick down into second when I do this test).The interior of this van has been gutted and is bare as the interior of a beer can.Any sounds will transmit easily.Maybe the sounds are normal,and would be masked with a regular vanagon iterior(dont think so).I suspect the area of the second gear band,but am unfamiliar w/ auto trans.I tried to move the band adj screw a bit without aid of an inch -pound torque wrench(I retured the screw to its origional position)and discovered that the screw will not turn in,only out.I suspect that the "push rod "that the adj screw meets is out of place.I think the band is grabbing the drum and then releasing as I hit and release the accelerator,as opposed to grabbing and holding.Hence the noise.I recently changed the fluid and screen ,and found the old ones to be absolutely clean,and the fluid to be almost new.I think that the po had changed these not long before the van was allowed to sit for for I think other reasons.This was for 2 or 3 years.Then I got the van in not running condition.Because of the clean filter and fluid that I removed,I dont think many miles have been put on this van w/this problem.Does anybody know this problem,and what the cure might be?I am about to remove the valve body and check it out myself.I need some insight as to wheather I am on the right track,or if this trans is soon to be toast.Thanks,Roger Sisler.