Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:17:36 -0800
Comments:     DomainKeys? See http://antispam.yahoo.com/domainkeys
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pahrump NV - place to camp  ----> TECOPA
Comments: To: Chuck Reisinger <chuckphoto@EARTHLINK.NET>

Hi and happy New Year.

Sorry to respond so late.

I used to hang out a lot in that area. Of Course I'm crazy! I own a VW van (actually 2 right now) and YES I was a geologist.

There are some neat side roads to adventure on. Most are marked on the AAA map of Death Valley area.

I used to camp in the open desert across the dry lake from the hamlet of Tecopa off the Charles Brown Highway on the road back to Baker. This is a wonderful open desert area. People leave you alone out here, even if you have long hair or a VW van.

The best part of all of this is going over to the Tecopa bath house and enjoying the cool 108 degree hot springs. All year long it is a pleasure. In the winter it will warm you and in the summer it will cool you down.

Even if you drive by in the area it is well worth the stop over.

PS: I've been fortunate enough to have bicycled this whole area from Lost Wages to Death Valley over the Goodsprings Mt. to Parumph, to Tecopa, Over Salisbury pass up to Dante's View and across the valley to Telescope peak. Not all in one sitting of course but over several years of hanging out in DV. I've used a road bike, a mt. bike, a tandem and a recumbent. The recumbent was the best. but going downhill in the road bike, clocked at 56mph was also pretty great. I did say I was crazy.

Joel shovelling snow in Rochester NY, dreaming of the desert and the hot springs. 89 Syncro Westy 84 Westy.

Chuck Reisinger <chuckphoto@EARTHLINK.NET> wrote: I'm doing some trip planning for Pahrump NV....using AAA maps, campground directory and guide book and Woodall's Western Edition....also....checked several Pahrump web sites....seems there aren't many places that welcome Westy's....the restrictions section in the AAA travel guides say "no motorcycle camping, vans, or pop-tops"....any ideas?

Amy I using the "Wrong Guides"...suggestions please....!

Thanks Chuck