Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:30:55 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Garmin ique 3600 & Palm device
Comments: To: Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>

I still have and have been using the Garmin device. I am happy with it. But I am only using it as a GPS device. If I were going to buy one now I would definately get one with the car kit (stand and cig lighter plugin). As far as using it for other things, this can be done, however you are limited on expansion because the palm device has no normal expansion slot at the top like the Handspring Visor would have. Instead the GPS antenna is integrated into the device right here and does not detach.

You could still keep addresses, appointments, do emails on it, etc but I don't think wireless internet would be an option. Your emails you could type in and then they would be sent when you synced the device with your desktop PC. It can be nice to download your days worth of emails into your handheld and then read them while you are waiting at the doctor's office, etc.

I like the Garmin device because it does give you voice directions. The screen is ultra clear and color. At night the screen switches to a night version that is better for night viewing. It has a very good capacity to re-route you to your destination if you miss a turn or decide to skip a traffic jam. I believe you can subscribe to a service that would give you real time route changes due to traffic conditions but I don't have the need to use this service living where I do.

So I am still happy with it. If you are doing a lot of traveling and won't be back to your computer for a while you want to get at least a 512meg SD card. I thought this would hold the whole USA maps, however I got most of the eastern seaboard with about 100megs to spare. I have no idea how much the entire country would take.

Hope this helps!

Ken Wilford John 3:16 www.vanagain.com