Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jan 2005 07:13:05 -0500
From:         Ken Wilford <kenwilfy@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Rebuilding Vanagon Shifter

I neede to rebuild the shifter on my 83 diesel Vanagon yesterday and although I sell a kit to do this I had never actually done it myself. It was simple (even more that I thought). I looked around on the internet and couldn't find anything posted on this so here we go: 1. Get shifter rebuild kit from www.vanagain.com (shameless plug) 2. Unscrew shifter knob 3. If you have it slide off black plastic cover on shift rod. 4. Pull off shift boot 5. Mark shift rod where the locking collar above the spring sits (you want to put it back in the same spot later. 6. Loosen locking collar screw and remove collar by sliding it off of the top of the shifter. 7. Remove two 10mm nuts from shifter plate in floor. 8. Pull shifter plate with shifter bushings up and off of shift rod. 9. Take shifter plate and remove all guts (old shifter parts). 10. Clean shifter plate and shift rod with brake cleaner etc. 11. Lubricate all plastic parts with VW spec lube (see Bentley). (I used white lithium grease in a spray can but I am not sure this is correct. I just wanted to get it back together today). 12. Install two halves of the circle (white plastic) into the black rubber barrel bushing. 13. Put spring between the two white plastic halves of the ball bushing and squeeze them together in your hand to make the ball. 14. You want to install the ball inside of the other bushing unit you have already made out of the black rubber barrel and the two circle halves. However you want the hollow cylinder that is on one side of the ball to point up. To install it correctly look at the rubber bushing. On the top is it tapered like this /--\ on the bottom it has a lip which is not tapered (like this l--l). While you are squeezing the ball halves to keep them together pull the rubber barrel a little to spread the to circle halves enough to get the ball inside. It is not difficult and doesn't require much strength. Be sure that the hollow cylinder part of the ball is pointing up (as I have already described). 15. Press the assembly so far into the metal floor plate housing piece. You want the top to point toward the top of the floor plate piece (just picture it on the floor of the van, which end is up?) 16. Press the floor spacer (big white collar looking thing) into the bottom of the black rubber piece. You may want to pull the black rubber piece back out of the metal housing just to get the lip of the collar seated inside the rubber. Don't push to hard and break stuff. The plastic piece is just a spacer it was not meant to press fit into the metal (which is what I thought it did). 17. Take the assembly so far and slide it back onto the shifter rod and go all of the way to the floor where it will reside. 18. Install the smaller spring on the shift rod. 19. Slide your locking collar back into place on the shift rod (you marked it remember) and lock it. You can use a pair of vise grips to hold the collar in place under the spring tension so you can lock the collar without worrying about the spring shooting the collar into your face or the ceiling. 20. Reinstall the metal plate to the floor. Lining it up should be easy since there are two small holes in the plate. Just align them with the holes in the floor so you can see through them and you are good to go. 21. Side your boot back on the shift rod. 22. Slide your black plastic sleeving back on. 23. Screw your shift knob back on.

You should be done at this point. Of course you can take the shift rod out of the van and do this work, however it is not neccesary ( I thought it was but after doing it I realized it wasn't). I am going to make this write up part of my shifter kits in the future. That way my customers will have a step by step instruction sheet of the job.

Hope this helps you. Our shifter kit is $27.08 and the part number is shifterkit1 in our webstore. This kit rebuilds all manual Vanagon shifters in the front. Of course there may be other bushings and things in the system but this kit is designed to help when your shifter suddenly drops through the floor (usually when it gets really cold) or doesn't do the reverse lockout anymore (problem with my 83 5-speed). I had to pick up on the shifter to find 5th.

Have a great day!