Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jan 2005 16:58:45 -0500
From:         Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: charging system problem?  battery sitting for a while.
Comments: To: tolga <tolga@MAC.COM>

A good battery at rest should be close to 12.6 volts. The VW charging system when working properly maintains ~13.8 volts. The ideal float charge level for most batteries at normal temperatures. If you meter is good, the readings you have indicate a bad battery cell. If the battery can still start the engine, the bad cell is shorted. If the battery was down to 10.5 V from sitting, it is probably sulfated. The 2A charger will require ~ 30 hours bringing it up to charge if it really delivers 2 amps and the battery is healthy.

Dennis