Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 17 Jan 2005 10:35:15 -0500
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      AVW to WVA- winter camping Pipestem WV

I made a quick weekend camping trip recently. Took off Friday evening headed to Pipestem State Park in Southern WV. I have visited there a number of times before, but not camping in the winter. As usual my departure was delayed a bit. I got to Wyetheville, VA and decided to camp at the Walmart. It was about 30' F outside, but since I had been driving for several hours, it was nice and warm in the van.

I picked up some food at the Walmart, then came back out to the van. I picked a strategic parking/camping spot near a big trailer, but not too close, right under the big light pole. I've found that to be a good choice so that the light is coming straight down on the van and not into the windows so much. Also a nice bright spot might keep any n'er-do-wells away. When I settled in the best spot, I left the engine idling and ran the rear heater on medium while I put up the curtains, folded out the bed and got the sleeping bag in place. When I shut off the engine it was about 75 in the van. I climbed into the sleeping bag and listened to the radio a little, enjoying the remote control feature of the cheap Jensen stereo I have. Soon it had dropped to about 50, and I decided to hunker down and sleep. this was the coldest yet I had used a nice down mummy bag I recently bought from a friend. My first nice sleeping bag, it is amazing. I was not cold at all, as the inside of the van dropped down to around 30 overnight.

Getting up and out of the warm sleeping bag is always the worst for me. I often would get up and fire up the stove for about 5 minutes to take the chill off of my hands and torso, but I had left my lighter at home (D'oh!). I slept with T-shirt and sweat pants and socks on. So I just jumped out of the bag, put on coat and hat and shoes and hoofed it into the store (to get lighter). Well, that movement kept me pretty nice and warm. I came back to the van, and started it up. Closed front heater valve and put rear heater on low speed. While I took down the curtains, and set up the van for day travel. In just a few minutes I had heat at the rear heater and turned it up. By now I was ready to drive, and there was plenty of heat.

Got to the Pipestem SP campground about 8:00am. Apparently it is totally self-serve/honor system in winter. The instructions as to how to register yourself were non-existent. I sort of made it up and found a spot. (A couple maintenance type truck came through the campground while I was there, but nobody ever checked if I paid or anything. It's probably not worth the time for them during the winter. $14.00 for electric hookup only is a pretty good deal.) Hooked up AC power and used my little ceramic heater while making some breakfast.

The nice thing about winter camping at Pipestem is you can use the other (indoor) facilities of the park when you want to get out of the cold. There is a big lodge with indoor pool, fitness equipment, sauna, restaurant, game room, etc. There is also a nice nature center with some knowledgeable and enthusiastic naturalists. Jim Phillips is great and I always learn a bunch from talking to him or going on hikes he leads. When there is snow they have cross country ski rental and a sled run with a lift to pull you back up the hill.

The campground was pretty deserted, but they did have a heated bath house open. I took advantage of the bath facilities in the lodge though, and they are very nice. Bring a lock so you can lock your stuff in the dressing room. I spent quite a while in the big heated pool and shared it only with 2 young teen girls. I could subtly herd them around the pool like a border collie. They always maintained a several yard margin from me, and from the hunky lifeguards. So as I paddled around, they would move here and there. I didn't realize this until after I got out of the water and remembered that they seemed to be spending a lot of time hanging on the ladder in the deep end.

I like Pipestem. Built in the early 70's as the crown jewel of WV's park system, it is an interesting mixture of themes. Parts of it still have the sort of funky look of the 70's, and some parts have been updated and are quite modern. It sort of aspires to be an upscale resort, and is maybe more of a down-home lodge.

Edward