Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:35:10 -0700
From:         Anonymous Digest <jbrush@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Re: AIRS: [WetWesties] need help near Palm Springs

I am not in a position to help. I hope everything works out okay for our friend, but his experience got me to thinking.....

Many of us know this, but others may not be aware that AA + will tow you twice, or more, if your total distance exceeds 100 miles. This I know from talking with them, not just hearing it from others.

Given AAA+, you can just let them tow you wherever they want if it gets you off the freeway and to a place where you can gather your thoughts. This beats 'going to war' with a beligerent tow truck driver on the side of the road. Then, you can call AAA again and get towed up to another 100 miles. Also, it may not be obvious that you don't need to be towed to a garage. You can get dropped at a motel or maybe even a camping area, given a westy, or whatever, to allow you to compose yourself, get some rest, and make those decisions under a little less duress.

Many of us know from experience that when you breakdown, its really stressful, especially like this fellow on the side of the freeway, with an idiot of a tow truck driver. Its kind of like medical emergencies and other life-incidents, in that we are often unprepared to make decisions from not having given it any prior thought. Most of us have probably gone over the procedure in our mind in case we have an engine fire, need to work on the CV joint on the side of the road, or how to pull the motor in a truck stop and fix whatever goes awry :-) but how many have gone over the 'tow truck' scenario?

Accidents and breakdowns can frazzle the brain, so its a good idea to have a plan ahead of time. Might help, can't hurt.

I am not second guessing this person who is having a hard time, just wanted to point out some things that might make it easier on the next one. After all, if you pay for AAA+ make sure you know the whole package and can use it to minimize the disaster if you can. :-)

John