Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:31:35 -0500
From:         Don in North Carolina <Don_Dixon@BELLSOUTH.NET>
Subject:      Was:need help Now: AAA

I'll add a few comments on AAA+. As some of you may remember, I recently had the '88 Vanagon towed from Virginia to North Carolina (300 miles). I called AAA to ask the cost of the tow, giving them the from-to addresses. They told me that the first 100 miles would be free, and $2 a mile thereafter. I accepted that, went to Virginia and called to start the tow. They again informed me that there was a charge beyond 100 miles, and I told them that I knew about it, and that it was $2 a mile. They agreed.

Tow truck driver shows up, hooks up and starts the tow. We leave at the same time. We arrive home at ~7PM. Tow truck driver shows up at 11PM - because he "took a nap" because he was too tired. He didn't bother to call us to let us know he would be delayed. When we get the bill from the credit card we put the tow on, it was $600+ dollars!!

It seems the tow rate is determined by the state the tow originates in, and I was quoted the rate for North Carolina, while Virginia was $3 a mile. They are claiming that we were told $3 a mile by the tow truck driver, when we were not. So my advise for you is to get it ALL in writing, or it could come back to haunt you later...

Don in Reidsville, NC 1987 Vanagon GL Syncro (Suzie) 1988 Vanagon GL (Sylvia)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Anonymous Digest" <jbrush@AROS.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tue 18 January 2005 11:42 Subject: Re: AIRS: [WetWesties] need help near Palm Springs