Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:58:52 -0500
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      another tranny question  (was RE: out comes the tranny (again)

Hmm, Warren's compliments made me think I should ask you a question too, Dennis! Or anyone else, of course.

My transmission works, but I think it's on its way out. It won't stay in first gear. I put it in first, start driving, and then within fifty feet or so it usually slips out of first into neutral. By then I can usually shift into second, so this is not a problem. And it's been doing it pretty much as long as I've had the van and doesn't seem to be getting worse. I don't have trouble with 2nd through 4th.

Is this the symptom when transmissions fail? I've never had a car whose transmission failed. Could it keep doing this for decades and I wouldn't have to replace the tranny?

Today I was driving around Philadelphia in snow and ice. Traffic was moving around 10 mph, stopping all the time. I had a lot of trouble getting Matilda started - I'd put her in first and she just wouldn't move. If I could get her in second she'd move a bit better, but sometimes I'd be sitting there when the light changed green just waving my hands to urge her on through the intersection. I think she was sliding on the ice, though mostly not enough that I could see or feel it. It was really cold out (okay, not by Canadian standards!). Do dicey transmissions behave worse in snow and ice? Or could my problems starting up once I'd stopped simply have been because I was sliding more than I realized?

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://users.rcn.com/jhecht/gypsy

**************************************************************** :::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of Warren Lail :::Sent: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 8:43 PM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Re: out comes the tranny (again) ::: :::Thanks Dennis. I will bring this up with my tranny guy next week when I :::return the tranny for the third time. :::I had a feeling that the movement of the shifter was telling me something :::that was probably related to the :::growling. ::: :::I truly appreciate your comments. How in the world did you come to know :::so much about Vanagons? :::Are you a factory-trained technician? You must be, or you must be a :::factory Trainer. You are the authority :::I look to on the list, bar none. Thanks for being out there and for :::being so helpful. ::: :::Warren ::: :::----- Original Message ----- :::From: Dennis Haynes <dhaynes@optonline.net> :::Date: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 7:22 pm :::Subject: RE: out comes the tranny (again) ::: :::> The shifter moving that much in third indicates the gear carrier :::> housingis shot. The thrust load is actually pushing the input shaft :::> as you :::> apply power. It is probably doing it in 4th also but it will not be as :::> noticeable as the overdrive ratio doesn't push as hard. This is a :::> commonproblem not noticed by many tranny repair folks. This also :::> explains the :::> growls. :::> :::> Dennis