Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 2005, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:04:10 -0500
From:         Darren Lastfogel <dlastfogel@PLYFORMS.COM>
Subject:      Re: interesting find on ebay.. (f)

-----Original Message----- From: jimt To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: 1/21/2005 7:43 AM Subject: Re: interesting find on ebay.. (f)

On 1/21/05 4:42 AM, "Darren Lastfogel" <dlastfogel@PLYFORMS.COM> wrote:

> Wow!!! thanks for the math tip I almost bought into that. I just figured > the cows and chickens had there way with it. > > Darren > A while back I went out on a salvage trip for a bus that was supposedly a good project. It had been used to raise fancy chickens. "hose it out and it will be ready to go" is what I was told. The chicken droppings had severely corroded everything out of direct sight. The wiring was chewed up from rodents. There were mouse nests and severe corrosion behind every panel. I told the lady that it wasnąt even worth my time to tow it off and find out if the transmission was any good. The engine was on a bench in the garage where it had been since it was pulled out almost 20 years earlier. It appeared to be good so I was really suspicious of the transmission after that. I gave here the number of a guy that would come and get the hulk if he got the engine with it.

After that trip there is no way I am blind bidding on anything found in a barn even for ten years.

**************************************** jimt Planned insanity is best. Remember that sanity is optional. http://www.tactical-bus.info (tech info) http://www.westydriver.com

Sometimes there are bad experiences but last summer I sold my 65 mustang that was about 95% restored this was a very fast and complete car that I had owned for 18 yrs and stored in my barn for 13 yrs pulled out only to go through it and insure everything was working. My intent of giving it to my son changed when he turned 16 as he wanted a VW thing. So I posted in the local paper with the words "barn find" I had turned away many people on the phone that wanted to offer me less with out even seeing it. After all the young kids that could'nt afford it came by. finally a 20 somthing guy with his wife came out and I pulled the mustang out for them because they reminded me of when I first saw it. He never questioned the mechanicals because of all the reicepts I showed and all the books and manuals that I gave with the car. They showed love for the car and gave me what I had asked which was exactly what I needed for the VW thing I had looked at. I try to always find the deal that is to good to be true. Last summer I found a allstate single wheel trailer for $100 in a 88 yr old parish member's barn and the true find for someone looking for one.was the 1953 chevy that had been in there since the late 60's when he removed all the outside chrome and put it inside the car.

There are still treasures out there just keep looking.

Darren Lowell MI